Monday, July 6, 2009

Album Review: "Nothing Personal" by All Time Low

It officially comes out tomorrow, but I've been listening to it all weekend.

>>So, let's be honest here: I thought this record was going to suck it hard. Mostly everyone else, both All Time Low fans and haters, were saying that it was going to be that over-produced, sugary upbeat pop that the radios assault us with. So when I got it, obviously I still wanted it, but I was prepared for a big disappointment. After listening to it once or twice, I realized it was actually really good, it just took some getting used to. It's different than their other records, but Nothing Personal is definitely not their an time low ;]
>Before they announced the name of the album, the members of ATL got into a bit of a "nothing personal" war on Twitter. They would insult eachother, then end the tweet with "nothing personal." This war eventually encompassed members of Every Avenue, Vinny Vegas, and even Mark Hoppus. This was a great promotion technique, and sparked a dramatic increase in the usage of the phrase.



>>It starts out with "Weightless", the first single. The first time I heard this song, I was obsessed with it. The beginning is kind of deceiving though. You get ready for a really pop-y song, but it's actually a lot deeper than that. I'm in love with the lyrics, and I absolutely adore the video. Glamour Kills, Vinny Vegas, Twitter references, & MARK HOPPUS For The Win! <3
"Weightless"

>>The chorus is the highpoint of "Break Your Little Heart", but it's really upbeat all the way through. The second single, "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Dont)", is pretty damn catchy. If you listen to it and somehow manage to not get the chorus stuck in your head at least once, you are my hero. "Lost In Stereo" is one of my Top 4 from this album, but "Stella" is my favorite <3 style="font-weight: bold;">Glamour Kills Studio Blog of ATL recording the gang vocals & the record itself only add to the appeal. "Sick Little Games" is fairly mellow, but far from boring. It's got a really sweet sound to it. "Hello Brooklyn" has a beat that makes you want to move. According to its lyrics, "Everybody knows there's a party at the end of the world." "Walls" is less "let's party!" and more "let's express great emotion in an almost powerpop form!" It's the perfect song to have between "Hello Brooklyn" and "Too Much", the flow is great. "Too Much" states that "too much of anything is too much".. Did anyone else notice how that contradicts another one of ATL's songs, "Holly (Would You Turn Me On)", which states that "too much of you is never enough."? Just shows how they're maturing as people, as a band, and lyrically. "Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal" stands out because it has a sick breakdown around 1:58 into it. "A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)" & "Therapy" are the other 2 songs that make up my Top 4. "A Party Song" is just badass; the name is perfect, and this was another song that I got to see being recorded via the GK Studio Blog. Just another reason to love GK :D "Therapy" almost explodes with emotion; It is truly an amazing song that obviously came from the heart. The lyrics are quite personal, and the song itself is one that you can listen to for days.

>>Overall, this record is more 'pop' than the others All Time Low has come out with. But just like their previous releases, each song ends, leaving you wanting more. They have those tracks that you know will become classics. Although I've grown to absolutely adore this record, I will say I prefer So Wrong, It's Right. That's one of my all time favorites, but Nothing Personal was definitely up to ATL's usual standards.



No comments: