Monday, June 16, 2008

Seen It Live: Bamboozle 08 (cont.)

When I was seeing where I left off yesterday, I realized that I forgot to mention the picture at the bottom of the page was taken by a member of Ludo [Tim Convoy] during their set at Bamboozle. Andrew Volpe, the lead singer, can be seen in the corner.

>>Back to the reviews. Since the crowd was so big by the time my friend & I got there, we could barely see Secondhand Serenade. My friend also wanted to see another band that I wasn't familiar with, A Rocket To The Moon, who was performing at another stage at the same time. We enjoyed "Vulnerable" as we walked towards the band I'd never heard of. It was earlier in the day, and there wasn't that big of a crowd yet, so we got close & listened. For me, the most memorable of their songs was "Fear of Flying". I don't know why, but it stuck in my head. After their set, i bought their Summer 07 EP, got a poster, and met their band manager. [ He's awesome, by the way. ] It's acoustic, and it's really good. More songs off that EP include "Baby, We're Invincible", "I Think About You Everyday", and "Mistakes We Haven't Made". If you're into an acoustic sound, I suggest you look them up :]

>>Cute Is What We Aim For
performed right after on yet another stage. It was bigger, as was the crowd, and it was hard to hear them. We could barely make out their familiar songs like "Curse Of Curves." We only stayed for a short amount of time, then we walked around for a while.

>>During our walk, we passed the Victory Records stand, where we received free samples & what not. We got a bunch of other packages, too. In one was GET HEARD volume 8, a compilation of various songs by artists who want to, well, get heard. The first song is called "No Control" by Pepper. It starts out with an almost reggae vibe, but then combines it with a rock sound. It's a really good song, and if you're interested check them out.
>>The 2nd track is "Bob & Bonnie" by Houston Calls, which reminds me of "The Space Between" by Valencia; a song I'm extremely fond of. If you know that song, you'll notice the similarities. Houston Calls has an upbeat sound that's almost pop-punk and completely enjoyable. Intrigued? Look 'em up :]. All of the songs are really good, and each band has a Myspace :]

I'll add more reviews laterrrr :]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

viva starship, i came across them in the library of all places, then remembered my friend talked about them from that snakes movie. they are wickedly good.

Kate Russell said...

Haha I'm pretty sure you mean Cobra Starship, and their single "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)" that was in the movie Snakes on a Plane. They're one of my favorite bands, and their most recent CD Viva La Cobra is awesome. If you like them, check it out. Or if you have that one already, look up their first CD When The City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets. [ That's the one with "Bring It" ] Thanks for commenting :]